I’m tackling a new resolution each month this year. For January, my action word is ‘care.’ This can take on many different meanings: to care for family and friends; to care for strangers; to care for myself.
I’m going to encompass all three into January, which will focus on random acts of kindness. While I already consider myself a caring person, I’d like to become more actively involved and step out of my comfort zone. My goal is to carry this type of behavior throughout the rest of the year and beyond.
By the time January 31 rolls around, I will have accomplished the following:
- Donate used books to a local library
- Hold the door open for others whenever the occasion arises
- Pay the Starbucks’ tab for the person behind me in the drive-thru
- Send birthday cards to family/friends
- Donate blood
- Comment on three blogs/week
- Be polite on the road
- Leave five recommendations on LinkedIn
- Bring coworkers a special treat
- Send flowers to a local nursing home
While I feel like most of these are common sense, they’re often put on the back burner. Not anymore! I can’t wait to report back at the end of the month… where I’ll hopefully be able to check off a few other items as well!